As of March 15, 2020, the Government of Alberta has announced a province-wide school closure. All classes are canceled indefinitely. Children are expected to stay home.
The safety of our students and staff is always our first priority. We continue to monitor closely the current situation with COVID-19. In circumstances such as these, the Division will always take the lead from and follow the directions of Alberta Health Services and the Government of Alberta (GOA).
SUPPORTING AND TALKING TO STUDENTS
COVID-19 can make students and families anxious. A helpful resource that parents may wish to reference in terms of talking to children about this pandemic, is entitled, Talking to Children about Coronavirus, an American National Association of School Psychologists publication.
GENERAL SAFETY PROTOCOLS
Because the COVID-19 situation is changing quickly, families and staff are encouraged to check frequently for updates from official sources. These include:
- COVID-19 information from Alberta Health Services about preventing the illness, what to do if you experience symptoms, information for travellers and more.
- Government of Canada travel advisories and the Public Health Agency of Canada’s travel health advisories for travel information and advisories.
- as of March 12, Albertans are being advised against traveling outside the country. If traveling outside the country, upon return, it is recommended that travelers self-isolate for 14 days.
- as per the Alberta Health Services website,
- “all travelers returning from outside Canada should self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for symptoms”
- “If symptoms develop (cough, fever, fatigue or difficulty breathing), stay home and call Health Link 811 for testing”
- be aware of cyber risks related to COVID-19, including not becoming a victim of COVID-19 phishing email attacks.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
We all have a role to play in protecting the health of our students and staff and minimizing spread. We encourage families and staff to make sure contact information is up to date so we can reach you quickly, if needed. To protect yourself and others, students, families and staff are encouraged to:
- use good hygiene practices, such as frequent hand washing, covering cough/sneezes with a tissue or crook of the arm and to not touch hands to face;
- not share items such as drinking glasses and water bottles;
- stay at home and away from others if you are feeling ill or experiencing symptoms, and
- contact your primary health provider or Health Link 811 if you have questions or concerns about your health.
We appreciate your patience and support, more information will be shared in the coming days.
For the most up to date information on COVID-19 please consult the Alberta Health Services COVID-19 Info for Albertans web page.